I'm sure I'm not the only hopeless romantic who has been swept away by the elegance, charm and period drama eye candy that is Downton Abbey. The drama's first season which is set in the twilight of the Edwardian Era (1912-1914), in the stately home of the Earl of Grantham named Downton Abbey. This is during the reign of King George V and for those who haven't discovered this gem, it follows the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and the servants who work for them. Every sunday, I snuggle down on the sofa, with my hot chocolate and biscuit and indulge.
For those who are sick to death of reality tv shows on people who live in notting hill, or dreaming of singing their hearts out on xfactor, or are vying to have the best party, wedding, date, house or to become the world's next super model, it is a welcome relief. In my mind there is nothing like classic english drama set in times when men were men and women were women.
It's celluoid caramel that melts on the screen and makes me think of one thing, and one thing only. Mr Darcy and the original, ultimate, period drama - Pride and Prejudice, the BBC version of course.
I couldn't count on both hands how many times I have read Jane Austen's classic or watched the series, but what I can tell you is that I've yet met a man that can live up to him.
Here's a few reasons on why I think Mr Darcy, fictional or not, is the ultimate man.
1) You'd never catch him scratching his plumbers crack with the tv remote
2) He'd never steal your mirror and cover it with pimple splats from his zit squeezing session before bed the night before
3) He'd never slide his hand up your skirt two minutes after you'd just met him and were waiting for your friends
4) He'd never presume to ask to crash at your place for a few days (which turns into 12 weeks) while he's in between jobs
5) He'd know that romance isn't just about flowers when you've done something wrong
6) He'd never ask to use your nail clippers so he could cut his nails prior to hopping into bed with you (a definite passion killer)
7) He'd be delighted to spend countless days picnicing on the heath and enjoying conversation rather than down at the pub trying to beat you at pool while also keeping track of arsenal's latest goal
8) You'd never catch him staring or groping another woman's assets unless it was her horse
9) He'd always be welcoming of in-laws and wouldnt make hangman noose faces behind their backs during every family dinner
10) and finally he'd never steal your underwear and wear them around during the day and bring them back to hid into your drawers again, skid marks and allCould you ask for anything more?